Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Buddy's Nurse is back to Work

Today is day 12 from surgery and it was time for me to head back to teaching. But I hated leaving my husband home alone and was thankful for the time I was able to stay home with him. Of course, he is able to take care of the basics or I wouldn't have felt comfortable leaving him but it still makes for a long day when you're limited in what you can do.

This morning I got him up, helped him get his support hose on (always a fun task), fixed him some breakfast, gave him his medicine, filled his ice pack, and fixed him a little cooler with snacks to carry him through the day. Today he got another visit from the physical therapist. He got a good report from him again.

Buddy has been given permission to use a cane now too. He had been using my father's wooden cane but it was a little too short (and as a surprise to me, it was emotional seeing Daddy's cane around again. It almost made me look around expecting to see Daddy). We borrowed a couple of canes from a friend who had also had hip surgery several years ago, but hers were more like walking sticks and don't work for Buddy. This afternoon after work, he asked me to stop by the local Goodwill and check to see if they had any canes that would do. If you EVER need something like that...check it out. There were tons of crutches, walkers, potty chairs and canes. I picked a great metal adjustable one with a soft black curved handle for $3.50.

Well, guess I'd better close. Buddy's sister is visiting him and I suppose I should be socialable.

No comments: